ACS, ASA, AHA, AORN ISSUE JOINT STATEMENT REGARDING RESUMING ELECTIVE SURGERY AFTER FIRST WAVE OF COVID-19
The American College of Surgeons, American Society of Anesthesiologists, Association of periOperative Registered Nurses, and American Hospital Association have issued a Joint Statement:
Roadmap for Resuming Elective Surgery after COVID-19 Pandemic.
The Statement sets forth principles and considerations to guide physicians and facilities in their resumption of care in operating rooms and all procedural areas, including:
- Timing for Reopening of Elective Surgery
- COVID-19 Testing within a Facility
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Case Prioritization and Scheduling
- Post-COVID-19 Issues for the Five Phases of Surgical Care
- Collection and Management of Data
- COVID-related Safety and Risk Mitigation Surrounding Second Wave
The Statement emphasizes that the reopening of facilities should be guided by State and local directives.
Should you have any questions, please contact OOSS Washington Counsel, Michael Romansky, JD, mromansky@OOSS.org or Diane Blanck, OOSS Executive Director, at dblanck@OOSS.org.